Why This Blog?

Greetings.
First and foremost, THANK YOU for taking the time to read this blog. There are millions of things that compete for every one of our moments of attention, and you chose to allocate your time reading my musings. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Now, why am I embarking on (yet another) blog project? Well, the answer is multi-faceted. Here are a few of the reasons I will be writing about the seemingly incongruous subjects of food, wine, and finance:

1) It's a Creative Outlet
A few years ago, I was working for a wine company that was going under. It was actually a great job- I got paid a nice salary, and received a bonus if I reached a certain level of sales each month. The problem was that we literally didn't have enough inventory in stock for me to reach that number. I'm using the term "literally" literally here. Even though I had to sell $50k worth of wine in a month to trigger my commissions, there was only about $30K worth of inventory in stock. This wasn't exactly a recipe for high level sales motivation. Since I was pretty much bored most of the time, I started writing a blog about wine and some other personal experiences. The process brought about in me the realization that writing is a great creative outlet, and I wrote on nearly a daily basis for about a year and a half. More recently, I haven't taken the time to write, and have missed it. Hence, I'm attempting an Ali-like return to the blog arena.

2) It Helps Me Sharpen My Skills
I firmly believe the adage that, if you want to master something, be able to teach it. By writing about these things, it will help me learn about them more thoroughly, and be able to speak to them more quickly without looking stuff up.

3) Some Things Need to be Said
As I stated before, there is a lot of information clamoring for our attention all the time. Right now, I am sitting in our apartment, and have notifications popping up on both my laptop and my phone, I can see my television, my Echo is playing music and will answer questions that I ask "Alexa", and there are several dozen books and magazines within easy reach. With all of this material at our disposal, it's no surprise that we can all be duped by misinformation peddled by people that would rather sell something than tell us the truth. That being said, it's doubtful that someone will ever have their life changed by knowing that Cataratto is a white grape varietal from Sicily. They might, however, be able to significantly increase the amount of time that their money will last in retirement by making simple changes to the fees that they are paying in their investment accounts today. My goal is to have this blog be a simple, concise, easily-digestible source for truths that are entertaining, relevant, and will enrich other people's lives.

Pretty simple, eh? Thanks again for reading this, and check back for new content every now and then. Also, if you like what you read, please tell others about it.

Cheers,
Kyle

Comments

Popular Posts